Monday, March 19, 2012

Sooooo Predictable

Guess what...

I read a book yesterday. I read it in 5 hours. It was a good 300 page book too.
The False Princess.
It's surprisingly like my story, BUT this lady, by that I mean author, does a few things extremely well.

First, she captures the thought process, emotions and logic of a princess very subtlety. She does it in a way where you think that what the character is thinking is completely normal. And her actions make complete sense. Even though her actions were nothing like my own, I found myself agreeing with this character. I was very impressed. I kept thinking. "This is EXACTLY what she would think and exactly how she would do it."

Second, while the story was pretty straight forward and clear cut. Very cliche and very predictable, she did throw me for just a second in the middle of the book. It was like... two books in one. Very nice.

So while I was distracted for five hours and while the book was better than I had initially expected. I was NOT satisfied. While I had very little to complain about I was not really happy with the book.

She does this... I'm not gonna tell anyone my plans, which is not what she would've have done. It didn't fit with her character. A princess who had been brought up learning to respect elders and councilors would have known that the BEST action would be to TELL someone what was going on. Or at least bounce off ideas of people that she trusts. It bugged me the entire time.

The last problem... it was WAAAAAY too predictable.Within the first four pages I knew her secret and her love interest. I knew she was going to use a certain... thing(s) to save everyone. After the first "book" the characters and been established nicely and the romantic tension had been released, the second book had begun and I had been intrigued by a new plot twist. After I had figured out the plot twist... I felt ready to put the book down. I knew who the bad guy was, I knew how she was going to save everyone and it was just... blah....

Better than I expected... but only worth maybe three hours of my time. I'm determined NOT to let my characters and my story be like this. You will be blown away. Just wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment